Licensing law


In the UK, many aspects of business require a licence. If your business proposes to engage in a licensable activity, such as the sale of food or alcohol, you will need to contact a solicitor about applying for a licence. Indeed, even charitable and other events may require a licence.

The main things for which you will need a licence in the UK are:

  • Alcohol
  • Betting
  • Entertainment
  • Food

You can find information on each of these in this section. Operating without a valid licence can result in serious penalties and even business closure, not to mention being detrimental to your business or enterprise.

If you are looking for information on licensing agreements related to IP rights, you can find this in our IP section, located within the commercial section. For software licensing information, go to our software section.

If you would like to obtain expert legal advice then Contact Law can put you in touch with a local specialist solicitor free of charge. So if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local specialist solicitors please call us on 0800 1777 162.

Quick enquiry form
Area of law:

More information:

Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.